Monday, November 7, 2011

Time Marching On to the Beat of a Traumatic Drum

11:27 pm and still no inspiration for the day. I decided to head over to NaBloPoMo headquarters to scoop out a topic for the evening. Today's topic -"Has anything traumatic ever happened to you?"

Well. As a matter of fact, this very evening, a little interaction between my dear husband and myself may just qualify to fit in the trauma department. We were occupying ourselves with a little evening television when a commercial came on. It was one of those banking, or insurance, or future investment sort of deals where a father in his fifties was yearning for an early retirement and ease of living as he juggled the financial burdens of his busy family. You know the type. They are the ones I usually fast forward.

So Harv throws out, "Hmmm. 50. That is eleven years from now."

At first I chuckled...thinking that he was teasing me. Somewhat like he does in late spring after the long loooooong winter when he points out a yellow leaf and informs me that the fall season is dawning.

And then I did the math.

Eleven years! We have been married 11 years! It has gone by in a blink. That means one more blink and we are the people in the commercials, checking out our portfolios and wondering where all the time went.

Am I the only one that feels like just yesterday I was a kid, and that tomorrow I will be applying for the nursing home?

Speed of life. Trauma. I think I need to lay down.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Speak for yourself... I still he 14 years to... HOLY #$%@!!!! When did this happen!?!?!?

Becky said...

*have

Shirley said...

I KNOW!!! It's shocking.

Fit the Piece said...

How true, Shirley. Sometimes I can't believe I have 2 kids in their 40's, 3 of my grandkids are teenagers & who in the world is this old man who sleeps beside me at night? And, And sometimes I just want to act like a kid!!It's the reality of life & so much to be thankful for!! I think I now have enough material to go & write my own blog post!!

Fit the Piece said...

The time on my comment came up at 6:29 AM. There is no way that I'm ever up that early!

Shirley said...

LOL Auntie Lil - I love your comment about the old man who sleeps beside you! :)