Wednesday, November 2, 2011

And how are things with YOU? Part I

The other night Harv and I were doing a little visitation supper with a couple from our church. It was a pleasant evening and we were catching up on their lives. How are things with work? How are the newlywed children? I hear you are going to be grandparents! And so on and so forth. Half way through the evening the couple looked at us and said. “We have been talking all night about us. HOW ARE THINGS WITH YOU?”

Blank.

I looked at Harv.

Harv looked at me.

"Good. Good." I said a little nervously. Do they mean how are things going with the church? Do they mean just our lives in general? Do they REALLY want to know? Do they really want to hear about the thing that consumes our entire life – parenting? Man I wish I would have prepped for this question ahead of time.

I am not good at “How are things with you?” If I could keep you talking about yourself all evening with engaging questions and conversation starters, I would do it. Maybe I am unsure if people REALLY want to know how things are going, or if it is just the polite thing you say. I answered honestly a while back. I said. “Not great.” I was met with an awkward, stunned, deer-in-the-headlights sort of look.

Maybe I misunderstood the question.

Obstacle #2 to regular blogging – do people REALLY want to know? Not sure I want to hear the answer to that one. Maybe let’s talk about you for a while instead. How are things with YOU?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I ask people "How are you" or "How are things with you" I whole heartedly want to know. I do pray You, Harv and Sam are doing well! Miss you! :-)
*Hugs*
Monica

Sonya said...

I'm here with you. Beneath the piles of laundry, dish and occasional temper tantrum. Eagerly awaiting date night or girls night out. Or any reason to get out really. Love being home with my boys, but this mama needs a break sometimes.
Love that blogging/facebook/email lets me connect with others, even though I'm home most of the time.
You're 2 for 2 with blogging. Woot woot!

Shirley said...

I wish blogger had a "Like" button so that I could "Like" your comments. Cause I do.