Thursday, November 3, 2011

And how are things with YOU? Part II

Many years ago I knew a girl who lived her life in a “glass half empty” sort of way. Negativity replaced any joyful expression and if there was something to complain about – she was on the job! I remember hearing others whisper about the negativity. Let’s not invite her – she is such a complainer. She is SO negative.

I think hearing those comments had a profound effect on me, even to this day. I feel like I am always keeping myself in check. I want to share with others how I feel about things – but I am always on guard to not come across as TOO negative. Balance every downer comment with a couple of positive. If expressing how hard the adjustment to parenting has been, make sure to follow with about 10 loving statements of how much I love my child (which I do by the way). Be careful how you are coming across on all your Facebook status. Have a blog that is real and to the heart of how things are, but not too real, because what would people think?

I was told a while back that I was a bit of a drag. I guess I was not working hard enough to keep myself in check. I will do better next time. But what if I don’t want to? What if I just want to be who I am?

And this once again brings me to the question, when people ask “How are things with you?” do they really want to know? Do people REALLY want to know the real, day-to-day life stuff and struggles of others around them? Or do they want to hear just enough to feel like they had a “good” conversation with you, without getting their hands too dirty?

What if when asked “How are things with you?” we could answer freely without any editing?

What if people could just be who they are?

What if God intended the glass half empty people to balance out the glass half full people? Wouldn’t two halves make one full cup?

Wouldn’t we all breathe with a little more freedom if we didn’t have to think so hard? Would the question of “How are things with you?” be met with a few less blank stares and a little less panic (for me at least)?

When I ask you how things are with you I hope you find a free place to share from the honest depths of who you are - because that is what I am really hoping to get back from you in return. So let’s raise our glasses – whether half full or half empty and toast to living life with more honesty and far less editing.

No comments: