I made meatloaf today. Sounds a little everyday-living life-hum drum-normal don’t you think? But I don’t break out the “fancy cooking” too often (Anything that requires the oven is considered fancy in my books.). So I guess meatloaf is my abnormal in usual normalness.
I have been thinking a lot about my life lately. I have been thinking about what I accomplish. What is my sum total in this life? Am I really making a difference?
I had an encounter last weekend. I asked one of my church ladies what kind of week she had. She proceeded to tell me, with enthusiasm and energy, about her interactions with neighbours, her conversations that turned to God-talks, her embraced opportunities to infuse scripture and encouragement to the heavy hearted. She was radiating delight.
She then asked me what my week had been like.
I froze.
There were dirty diapers, and temper tantrums. The endless dishes were battled and lost. I think I managed to throw a load of laundry in. It may very well still be sitting there in the washer - a growing mess of damp sogginess for all I know. Oh, and I did quite enjoy American Idol when I grabbed a moment to sit down and completely tune out from everything.
I stared at her blankly. Far too long for proper etiquette. I really could not answer the question. So I mumbled something, and actually hurried away in my discomfort.
I thought later – why didn’t I talk with enthusiasm and energy of my exciting week, of my adventures and high calling to influence and shape the little world around me? Why didn’t I share of my role as boo boo kisser and milk fetcher? As toy retriever and head chef, meeting the nutritional demands of the future president or the next Billy Graham. Why didn’t I talk about the privilege that I have to spend even a moment delighting in pure blue eyes – seeing everything for the first time. Witnessing and enjoying a little human interacting with his growing world.
Climbing. Learning. Developing. Changing.
It is a high calling. And I want to embrace it until I also radiate with delight.
On Sunday I am hoping to run into this lady again. And I hope she asks me about my week.
I'm going to tell her I made meatloaf.
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh Shirley! I am so glad I found you again thanks to Sonya's little blogroll thingy.
Welcome back!
Shirley you rock!
I heard various testimonies a couple weeks ago, from young men, majority whom (coincidentally) had either been in foster care or were adopted. They felt unloved, unappreciated and worthless. And it wasn't until someone showed them (Christ's) unconditional love that they realized that they weren't unlovable and that they had hope.
My point is I think a good Mom and a stable home life is worth more than most people realize. You show Sam unconditional love everyday. Anyone could take care of him, but only you can be his Mom. I'm right there with you with the temper tantrums, diaper changes and a less than Martha Stewart home.
Maybe she felt like she had to impress you because you're the pastor's wife.
Regardless, I sit here in the midst of my sty of a living room, thinking about you and remembering how you've made me feel. Although we really haven't spent much time together I remember the chats and laughs we've had. And I appreciate you tremendously.
When are you moving closer?!
Too bad the blog didn't have a "like" button like Facebook does.
"LIKE".
Thanks girls...feelin' the love. :)
Post a Comment